Old Ottawa East has a rich and diverse history that goes back almost 200 years! Farmers originally settled in Old Ottawa East during the mid-nineteenth century. The development of the community as a residential area started later, in the 1870s. When the railway arrived shortly thereafter, it opened up opportunities for all sorts of emerging industries, such as coal and gas. The industries were set up along the Rideau River and the Rideau Canal in order to have access to transportation and a stronger link to all of their markets.
This small neighbourhood was originally the suburban community of Archville, incorporated as the Village of Ottawa East in 1888. In the centre of the neighbourhood was Main Street, which was the central road of Archville. The area has seen plenty of growth and change to date, and today it is home to many beautiful historical buildings, such as The Edifice Deschâtelets and Old Town Hall Community Centre. To all visitors and community residents, Old Ottawa East is a quiet and peaceful neighbourhood, known for its lush parks and gorgeous water-side trails.